Lycan Vs. Werewolf
Difference Between Lycan And Werewolf
Werewolves and Lycans are mythological or rather folkloric characters and both refer to human beings transforming into a wolf-like animal. However, there are several differences that exist between these two types of characters.
A human transforms into a werewolf only during the time of full moon and it is not within their power to either delay or inhibit this transformation in any way. In case of a lycan the transformation to the wolf form takes place at any time and at any place and the transformation is definitely in the hands of the individual. Human beings get transformed into a werewolf when he/she is bitten by a werewolf and into a lycan when he/she is bitten by a Lycan. The origin of the werewolves is in the English folk tales where they are said to be those types of human beings who have changed to that particular half human, half animal form. Lycans, on the other hand, are born in that particular wolf form only.
Both the werewolves as well as Lycans possess great powers that are superhuman in nature, abilities to regenerate,swiftness, speed, organization as well as coordination and are excellent trackers, the physical strength of the two beng almost the same in the two.
However, Lycans are supposed to be a smarter, more macular as well as a more religious class of wolves in comparison to the werewolves, who are thought to be the representatives of witchcraft. Another difference that exists between the two types of wolves is that it is a difficult task to kill a Lycan, as compared to werewolves, as the only way they die is when someone separates their spine from their body. However, one can kill a werewolf by piercing any object made of the silver metal into the heart or the head of the same.
The origin of the word ‘werewolf’ is from the two words ‘wer’ meaning ‘man’ and ‘wulf’ meaning ‘wolf’ – bothbeing the words of Old English. The term ‘Lycan’ has been derived from the Greek word “lykánthropos” , which in the modern time is referred to a kind of mental ailment in which the person has a misconception that he/she has become an animal. As a result of this the person suffering from the ailment exhibits animal like behavior.
- An individual gets transformed into a werewolf only during the full moon and this transformation cannot be stopped by that individual. On the other hand an individual gets transformed into a lycan at any time at his own free will.
- The origin of werewolves is in the folk tales of the English that refer to werewolves who have evolved from humans to the wolf form while Lycans are those organisms who are wolves from their birth.
- Lycans are much faster, more intelligent, more religious, mascular as well as smarter than a werewolf.
- The only way the Lycans die is when someone separates their spine from their body. However, one can kill a werewolf by piercing any object made of the silver metal into the heart or the head of the same.
- “Lycanotherapy” , nowadays, is a term that refers to a type of mental illness.