Difference Between Advice and Suggestion
The two words advice and suggestion are two words that create a lot of confusion in the minds of people. However in spite of the similarity in the meanings these two words are different.
Let us have some examples where we can find both these words being used as nouns:
1. Let me give you a piece of advice.
2. May I have your suggestion regarding this issue?
We can see that in both the sentences ‘advice’ and ‘suggestion’ are used as nouns.
Suggestion is used to provide a sense of ‘giving an idea’. Let us consider the following examples.
1. Ronald suggests that we take a walk in the woods.
2. Polly provided a suggestion for the easy completion of the job.
While in the first sentence we can see that Ronald gave an idea to take a walk in the wood in the second sentence we can see that Polly gave an idea so that the job may be easily completed.
However the word advice has a feel of ‘counsel’. Have a look at the sentences
1. Rhonda gave an advice to his friend.
2. The advice that was given had its effect.
Both the sentences have a feel of ‘counsel’. While in the first sentence we can see that Rhonda counseled his friend in the second sentence we get the idea that the counsel that was given had its effect.