Difference Between Episcopalian And Catholic
Both Episcopalians and Catholics are quite similar and hardly differentiable. As it is known the meaning of Catholic is ‘universal’. In almost all religious convictions the practices and beliefs of the Catholics are manifested. This is why the confusion whether a church is Roman Catholic or Episcopal arises. However they can be differentiated by the way the hold their masses and their practices as well.
In the Episcopalian cult the women in some provinces are allowed to be priests however it is just the men who can be priests in case of Catholics. They wear the same clothes when they preach. According to the Episcopal belief the priests and bishops can marry if they wanted. Unlike the Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church, do not believe in ultimate power of Pope (Roman Bishop) over the Universal Church. Though there are bishops and cardinals, the Episcopal Church do not have a central authority like the Pope. Unlike the Catholics the Episcopalian Bishops are elected by the people and allotted by the Pope as they refuse to believe in having Popes.
One of the hallmarks of the Catholics is the acknowledgment of sins. In order to purify the sins the Catholics confess and ask for clemency from God. However the Episcopalians neither believe in nor do they have any scope of confession. They believe in the direct communication of people with God and people can ask for forgiveness from God and tell Him about their sins directly.
Apart from God the Catholics pray to the saints and ask for their assistance and fortification. According to them a particular saint supports one of their daily actions. The Episcopalians also have saints and even some of the Episcopalian churches are named after these saints. However the Episcopalians do not support in the worship of fake idols. According to them saints are indeed blessed people who need to be honored. However people need not offer prayer to them. Episcopalians pray about the saints but their prayer is offered to thank Him for providing them with instances which they refer to saints.
The open communion is another factor that makes them different. In an Episcopalian Church, you can receive communion no matter if you are not an Episcopalian unlike the Catholic Church where communions are given only to those who are the church members.
Another point of difference is that the married Episcopalian couples can freely use birth controls as they are not under the authority of the Pope unlike the Catholic community who is under the supervision of Pope and are restricted from making us of any birth control means.
1. According to Episcopalian Church both men and women are allowed to be priests. They could also get married. On the other hand in case of a Catholic church, it is only the males can be priests and cannot get married.
2. Episcopalians don’t believe in Pope’s authority however the Episcopalians have bishops and cardinals who are selected in election unlike the Catholics who are under the power of Pope.
3. In an Episcopal Church there is no scope of confession of sins to priests unlike the Catholic Church where confession of sins is exercised.
4. According to the Episcopalians the saints are examples of the will of God however from a Catholic’s point of view, they are to be sought for guidance.
5. While Episcopalian communities can use birth control the Catholics cannot.