Difference between A Labrador and A Golden Retriever
Labradors and Golden Retrievers are dog breeds that are similar in appearance and are both very loyal, friendly and energetic. Because of this, they are very popular in countries like the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia. However, people are often confused as to which breed is which. This article helps determine the differences between the two.
How Do We Know If The Dog is a Labrador?
Labradors, or Labs as they are more commonly called, have coats made up of two layers: a thick and soft inner layer and a soft, oily, and water resistant outer one. These coats may range from black to chocolate in color, sometimes having spots or stripes. Since they have water resistant fur, labs only need shampooing every 15 days. Labs also tend to have an athletic built, which makes them more energetic than Golden Retrievers.
How Do We Know If The Dog is a Golden Retriever?
Golden Retrievers, also known as Goldies, have a single thick and furry coat that is not water resistant. Its color may range from dark to light golden, which may sometimes be accompanied by spots or stripes. Because of their thick fur, they are required to be oiled and cleared of tangles every now and then. Although also energetic, they have lower activity levels and are more relaxed and laid back than Labs.
- Labs and Goldies are loyal, friendly, and energetic
- Labs have two layers of coat which can be black to chocolate in color while Goldies have a single coat which can be dark to light golden in color
- Both Labs and Goldies can sometimes have stripes or spots
- Labs have water resistant coats while Goldies do not
- Labs only need grooming every 15 days while Goldies have to be groomed every now and then
- Labs are more energetic than Goldies