Difference Between Osteo Arthritis and Rheumatiod Arthritis
Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis are similar in a way because both these problems are related to the joints in the body. The causes and the symptoms are different for these joint pain related problems.
We have given some facts about both these problems and these facts will provide information to help you in understanding them.
- It leads to soreness, pain and swelling in the joints.
- Osteoarthritis affects the larger joints like knee joints which bear more weight this is why this is a common problem in obese people.
- Pain, redness, heat, swelling and difficulty in moving the joints are the common symptoms.
- The pain is increased in evenings and doing a lot of work involving joints.
Causes and important facts about Rheumatoid arthritis are given below:
- It is caused when antibodies attack the joint membranes. Joints have lubricants which help in smooth movement of the joints and when these lubricating membranes are inflamed you start feeling pain in the joints because of increased friction.
- The pain in joints is more in the morning because the antibodies deposit in the night. The pain is reduced when you move the joints.
- The sufferer feels stiffness in joints.
- Inflammation is increased with destruction on small joints by the antibodies.
- If untreated for long time the joints start deforming.
- This disease can be detected by the presence of Rheumatoid factor in the blood but the disease can occur even without the presence of this factor. Such condition is known as sero negative arthritis.
- This disease may eventually affect other parts of the body as well.
- This disease is more common in the people who have it in the family history.
With the help of the above points we can find following differences between the two diseases:
- Osteoarthritis causes more pain in the evening when the joints are most strained while the pain in Rheumatoid arthritis is reduced by movement of joints and is experienced in the morning at its highest level.
- Osteoarthristis is treated with painkillers while Rheumatoid arthritis is treated by disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD) and Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAID).
- Osteoarthristis is mainly related to increased body weight while Rheumatoid arthritis is caused by antibodies and can be inherited.